Packaging and tablets not shown actual size.
What to Eat the Day Before Your Colonoscopy
Please follow a low residue diet and do not eat anything after starting the bowel prep. Eat what is permitted unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
What You CAN Do
- You may have a low residue breakfast only. Low residue breakfast foods include eggs, white bread, cottage cheese, yogurt, grits, coffee, and tea.
- You may have clear liquids.
What You CANNOT Do
- Do not drink milk or eat or drink anything colored red or purple.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Do not take other laxatives while taking SUTAB.
- Do not take oral medications within 1 hour of starting each dose of SUTAB.
- If taking tetracycline or fluoroquinolone antibiotics, iron, digoxin, chlorpromazine, or penicillamine, take these medications at least 2 hours before and not less than 6 hours after administration of each dose of SUTAB.
Liquids That Are OK to Drink
- Coffee or tea (no cream or nondairy creamer)
- Fruit juices (without pulp)
- Gelatin desserts (no fruit or topping)
- Chicken broth
- Clear soda (such as ginger ale)
The Dosing Regimen
SUTAB is a split-dose (2-day) regimen. A total of 24 tablets is required for complete preparation for colonoscopy. You will take the tablets in two doses of 12 tablets each. Water must be consumed with each dose of SUTAB, and additional water must be consumed after each dose.
DAY 1, DOSE 1
The day BEFORE your colonoscopy
before, during and after taking SUTAB
Swallow the 12 tablets with the first 16 ounces of water
The day before your colonoscopy, open the first bottle of 12 tablets and take SUTAB as described below.
STEP 1 Open 1 bottle of 12 tablets.
STEP 2 Fill the provided container with 16 ounces of water (up to the fill line). Swallow 1 tablet every 1 to 2 minutes. You should finish the 12 tablets and the entire 16 ounces of water within 20 minutes.
Drink the additional two 16 ounces of water
STEP 3 Approximately 1 hour after the last tablet is ingested, fill the provided container again with 16 ounces of water (up to the fill line), and drink the entire amount over 30 minutes.
STEP 4 Approximately 30 minutes after finishing the second container of water, fill the provided container with 16 ounces of water (up to the fill line), and drink the entire amount over 30 minutes.
DAY 2, DOSE 2
The day OF your colonoscopy
Swallow the other 12 tablets with another 16 ounces of water
- The day of your colonoscopy (5 to 8 hours prior to your colonoscopy and no sooner than 4 hours from starting Dose 1), open the second bottle of 12 tablets
- Repeat STEP 1 to STEP 4 from DAY 1, DOSE 1
- SUTAB is an osmotic laxative indicated for cleansing of the colon in preparation for colonoscopy in adults.
- Be sure to tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. SUTAB may affect how other medicines work.
- Medication taken by mouth may not be absorbed properly when taken within 1 hour before the start of each dose of SUTAB.
- The most common adverse reactions after administration of SUTAB were nausea, abdominal distension, vomiting, and upper abdominal pain.
- Contact your healthcare provider if you develop significant vomiting or signs of dehydration after taking SUTAB or if you experience cardiac arrhythmias or seizures.
- If you have any questions about taking SUTAB, call your doctor.
SUTAB® (sodium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride) tablets for oral use is an osmotic laxative indicated for cleansing of the colon in preparation for colonoscopy in adults.
Use is contraindicated in the following conditions: gastrointestinal obstruction or ileus, bowel perforation, toxic colitis or toxic megacolon, gastric retention, hypersensitivity to any ingredient in SUTAB.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
A low residue breakfast may be consumed. After breakfast, only clear liquids may be consumed until after the colonoscopy. Administration of two doses of SUTAB (24 tablets) are required for a complete preparation for colonoscopy. Twelve (12) tablets are equivalent to one dose. Water must be consumed with each dose of SUTAB and additional water must be consumed after each dose. Complete all SUTAB tablets and required water at least 2 hours before colonoscopy.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
Risk of fluid and electrolyte abnormalities: Encourage adequate hydration, assess concurrent medications and consider laboratory assessments prior to and after each use; Cardiac arrhythmias: Consider pre-dose and post-colonoscopy ECGs in patients at increased risk; Seizures: Use caution in patients with a history of seizures and patients at increased risk of seizures, including medications that lower the seizure threshold; Patients with renal impairment or taking concomitant medications that affect renal function: Use caution, ensure adequate hydration and consider laboratory testing; Colonic mucosal ulcerations: Consider potential for mucosal ulcerations when interpreting colonoscopy findings in patients with known or suspected inflammatory bowel disease. Suspected GI obstruction or perforation: Rule out the diagnosis before administration. Hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylaxis: Inform patients to seek immediate medical care if symptoms occur.
Most common gastrointestinal adverse reactions are: nausea, abdominal distension, vomiting, and upper abdominal pain.
Drugs that increase risk of fluid and electrolyte imbalance.
References: 1. IQVIA, National Prescription Audit Report. January 2023. 2.Di Palma JA, Bhandari R, Cleveland M, et al. A safety and efficacy comparison of a new sulfate-based tablet bowel preparation versus a PEG and ascorbate comparator in adult subjects undergoing colonoscopy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2021;116(2):319-328. doi: 10.14309/ajg.0000000000001020. 3. SUTAB® [package Insert]. Braintree, MA: Braintree Laboratories, Inc. 4. Rex DK, Johnson DA, Anderson JC, Schoenfeld PS, Burke CA, Inadomi JM; American College of Gastroenterology. American College of Gastroenterology guidelines for colorectal cancer screening 2009 (corrected). Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104(3):739-750.